What is email spoofing?
By forging the email header, so that the message appears to have originated from a known source or sender (like a law enforcement agency, renowned company, or even your bank), fraudsters trick the recipients to open and respond to mails with their personal information.
How can you detect a spoofed email?
- As a thumb rule, do not click on links that ask for your personal information.
- Always ensure that your system is updated with good anti-virus software.
- Roll over any suspicious link and don’t click on it if it’s not identical to what the link says.
- Avoid opening emails or clicking on links if you don’t recognise the sender.
- Nearly all email programs will let you float your mouse over an email address (or link in an email). What you see in the pop up should be identical to what’s floating over.