Internet Banking or online banking frauds are very tricky and before you realize, you may be duped without you ever knowing what went wrong. The only thing that can keep you off such frauds is being alert while using internet or online banking.
Following are things that should be kept in mind while using internet banking
- Never use cyber cafés or shared PCs for transacting online.
- Never use shared Wi-Fi (Wireless Internet Connection) for accessing your banking accounts and doing online shopping.
- Never use wireless terminals at the merchants place or at the shops for any transaction as they are completely secure.
- Always use secure browser connection (https://) while entering your personal and financial details.
- Check whether the URL or website addresses starts with ‘https://’ while doing online transactions and check for locked padlock or unbroken key symbol at the bottom right of the browser window.
- Visit the internet banking site by entering the URL in address bar directly. Avoid accessing the site through a link on another site or an email and verify the domain name displayed to avoid spoof websites.
- Always check the last log-in to your Internet Banking account.
- Log off from Internet Banking after every online banking session. Do not just close your browser.
- Ensure the website displays "Verisign Secured" or "Digitally Signed by Entrust" or some other third party issued certificate icons. This should be done to check the SSL certificate status of the website.