6 MinsMay 23, 2023
The government has made it mandatory for all citizens to link their PAN with their Aadhaar number. The deadline for this is 30 June 2023. Failing to link your PAN and Aadhaar by this date could lead to your PAN becoming inoperative. So, if you
haven't yet linked your PAN and Aadhaar, it's essential to do so before the deadline.
Linking your Permanent Account Number (PAN) with your Aadhaar has become a compulsory procedure for Indian citizens. Non-compliance may lead to your PAN becoming non-operational. Here's an overview of the significance of this linkage:
- Compulsory Compliance: As stipulated in Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act, linking PAN with Aadhaar is a legal requirement. Not adhering to this can attract penalties or result in the deactivation of the PAN.
- Combating Tax Fraud: This linkage is a crucial step in combating tax evasion. It ensures that every PAN is associated with a unique Aadhaar number, preventing individuals from holding multiple PANs, which is against the law.
- Essential for e-Filing of Taxes: For the online filing of income tax returns, having your PAN linked to your Aadhaar is essential. Without this linkage, online filing may not be possible.
- Access to Government Benefits: To receive various government subsidies, such as the LPG subsidy under the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme, your PAN needs to be linked with your Aadhaar.
- Simplification of KYC Process: This linkage eases the process of Know Your Customer (KYC) for different financial transactions, including opening bank accounts or applying for loans.
- Exemption Categories: Certain individuals are exempt from linking their Aadhaar with their PAN, including Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), non-Indian citizens, individuals aged 80 or above, and residents of Assam, Meghalaya, or Jammu & Kashmir.
Procedure for Linking PAN with Aadhaar Online:
- Go to the income tax e-filing portal.
- Select the "Link Aadhaar" option in the Quick Links section.
- Provide your PAN, Aadhaar number, and name as per Aadhaar, along with the captcha code and OTP received.
- Confirm that your Aadhaar card only mentions your birth year.
- Click the "Link Aadhaar" button to submit your request.
- A confirmation message will pop up once the linking is successful.
Checking Linking Status:
- Navigate to the income tax e-filing portal.
- Choose "Link Aadhaar" under Quick Links, then select the "Status" button.
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number.
- Click on "View Link Aadhaar Status".
- The portal will then display the current status of your Aadhaar-PAN linkage.
For direct access to check your Aadhaar-PAN linkage status, use the provided link. Input your PAN and Aadhaar numbers and select 'View Link Aadhaar Status' to view the current status.
Steps to take in case your online linking fails
Step 1: Verify that the details entered are accurate and match the information on your PAN and Aadhaar cards.
Step 2: Make sure that the name, date of birth and gender on your Aadhaar card match the information on your PAN card.
Step 3: If the details entered are correct and the linking fails, you can try linking again after a few hours or days.
Step 4: If the issue persists, contact the Income Tax Department for further assistance.
Fees for PAN-Aadhaar linking
There is a fee of Rs 1000 for linking your PAN-Aadhaar that has to be paid through the e-filing portal. It should be paid in a single challan before filling the application for the PAN-Aadhaar linkage.
It is mandatory to link your PAN card with your Aadhaar before the extended deadline of 30th June 2023 to ensure that your PAN remains operative. You can easily link your Aadhaar with your PAN through the income tax e-filing portal.
Ensure that the entered details are accurate and match the information on your PAN and Aadhaar cards. If you face any issues or errors while linking, there is a correction facility, and you can also contact the Income Tax Department for assistance.
Disclaimer: This article is for information purpose only. The views expressed in this article are personal and do not necessarily constitute the views of Axis Bank Ltd. and its employees. Axis Bank Ltd. and/or the author shall not be responsible for any direct / indirect loss or liability incurred by the reader for taking any financial decisions based on the contents and information. Please consult your financial advisor before making any financial decision